• This is a uterus with the fundus to the left and the
cervix is to the right.
• It has been opened to show the interior with the
endometrial cavity (em) and the endocervix (ec).
• Cervix has many mucus filled Nabothian cysts (arrows).
• Associated with conditions that promote squamous metaplasia
• Inflammtion, irritation, low vaginal pH
• As metaplasia of the overlying epithelium occurs, deep endocervical epithelium may become isolated from the surface
• Secretion continues causing cyst formation
• Virtually universal in women of reproductive age
|General Gross Description|
• Usually small and filled with yellow mucus
|General Micro Description|
• Contains eosinophilic acellular mucus
• Lining epithelium resembles normal or compressed endocervical epithelium
• Blaustein^s Pathology of the Female Genital Tract, 4th ed. Kurman RJ (ed). New York: Springer-Verlag, 1994, pp. 195.